A lot of people dispose off their old batteries and get new ones once they feel they are not working properly or have become old. However, there is a way you can save your money by making your old battery work like a new one. This can be done by reconditioning batteries.
Reconditioning batteries is a very simple task and it can be done by almost anyone. All you need is a some time on your hands and a few tools to renew your battery. Below-mentioned are the ways you can renew different types of batteries.
Reconditioning Hybrid Batteries
Hybrid cars are one of the most efficient vehicles that have ever been created. They are very simple machines as well, since they only have two components i.e. a battery and an electric motor. The batteries in hybrid cars usually last for up to 200,000 miles.
The batteries can be replaced by the manufacturer if they get damaged while the warranty still lasts. But if the batteries are properly taken care of, they will most likely last longer than the warranty. If it gets damaged after the warranty has been void, you will have to spend cash to get a new one. A new battery for hybrid cars can cost up to $3000!
It’s not a bad idea to try to recondition your battery before deciding to get a new one. Not only will it save you money, but also save you the hassle of purchasing a new one.
All hybrid batteries have modules. The number varies for each car but all of them are based on the same principle. To recondition the battery, all that is needed to be done is to replace the damaged modules. It will cost you around $700 for this fix, which is much cheaper than getting a new battery. Also, reconditioning the battery is a great investment since it is likely to last for another 5 to 6 years.
How to Recondition a Car Battery
Car batteries are expensive and it is not easy to get them replaced with a totally new one. Reconditioning them, on the other hand, is a great option as you will end up with a battery that will work just as good as a new one. One thing you should keep in mind is that the battery you recondition will have around 70% of the power of a brand-new unit, which is still enough for what your car needs. Below-mentioned are the steps to recondition your car battery.
Things you will need: syringe, distilled water, battery charger and a voltmeter.
- Remove the battery along with the rubber that protects the caps. Remove the rubber caps too. The number of caps varies in batteries, some have 6-7, others might have more or less. Remove all of the caps.
- Add distilled water to a battery and recharge it. Remember to not put the caps back just yet. Let the battery charge for about an hour. Bubbles should be seen through the holes.
- If you don’t see any bubbles, reverse the positive and the negative wires and wait a couple of minutes. Once the bubbles appear, reverse the wires back to their original position and let it charge for another 30 minutes.
- You can also replace the acid inside the car battery. Mix a new acid with distilled water and let the battery charge for a few hours. That’s all you need to do to get a new battery.
How To Recondition Lead Acid batteries
Lead batteries are expensive, but if you want to save cash, the best option for you is to recondition one. It is also possible to fix an old one, which will last several more years. Reconditioning Lead Acid batteries is a very simple task, but this has to be done with a lot of care since the acid in the batteries is dangerous. Below-mentioned are the steps you need to follow to recondition your Lead acid battery.
- Remove the battery and open the caps. Various batteries are equipped with rubber protection, but that can be removed easily. All the caps need to be removed and should not be placed back until the procedure is complete.
- A lot of times, a battery does not have enough distilled water, which can be the main problem. If this is the case, add distilled water to your battery and recharge it, without placing the caps back on. Also, it is important to keep in mind that the battery should have between 13 to 14 volts of voltage when it is measured with a voltmeter.
- If this does not help, you can try a more aggressive method. For this, you will need an acid pack. Replace the acid and add clean distilled water. Repeat the steps with charging. This will help you get a new battery.
- Also, keep in mind that the battery should be charged for about 10 to 12 hours if you are using a slow charger. But if you are using a quick charger, it might take only up to 6 hours to recharge. For the best results, it is recommended that you measure the battery levels using a voltmeter while charging.
How to Quickly Open a Lead Battery
How to Recondition NiCad Batteries
Just like other types of batteries, NiCad batteries can also be reconditioned. One of the main reasons NiCad batteries get damaged is because when the sulfur crystals reach both terminals, it prevents the battery from charging. However, there is an easy way to solve this problem. Below-mentioned is an easy way to recondition NiCad batteries.
- You will be needing a flash camera capacitor. You can dissemble the parts of an old camera. A capacitor is a cylinder-like object that you will find inside the camera.
- Add a switch and a battery holder to the capacitor. Connect the wires to the capacitor. After that, connect the other ends of the wires with the battery holder and the switch.
- Ensure all wires are protected and don’t come in contact with anything that can direct power.
- Place the NiCad battery into the holder you added before and an alkaline battery into the capacitor.
- Press on the switch and wait or the LED to light up. Once it does, repeat the step. It is important that you hear a sound indicating that the sulfur crystals have been destroyed and the battery can be re-used.
Once this gadget has been made, it can be used to recondition NiCad batteries forever. Though the procedure might seem difficult but it is actually very easy and simple.
Thanks a Lot for reading, If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comment section below.