Posted by professorstotch on Thursday, January 29th, 2009 at 3:30 pm - filed under Lost, Lost News - (72) Comments
Want TV News? Visit TVOvermind.com

hawkingEver since Daniel and Desmond met up at the hatch in this season’s premiere episode, there have been countless people coming forth to proclaim that Daniel’s mother is none other than the infamous Mrs. Hawking. However, I remain a little skeptical. I’m not ready to believe in the Hawking/Faraday connection. In fact, I hope it doesn’t happen. Here’s why:

I can handle the writer’s throwing time travel at us. I can handle all the flashes and jumps and everything crazy that’s been going on. However, I may not be able to handle the writer’s falling into a trap of predictability. There’s no one out there who can honestly say they’ve uttered the phrase: “Oh, I saw that coming” more than a handful of times on Lost. In fact, looking back, I really only remember saying it once myself. This was during the start of season four, when Ben began talking about his spy on the boat. Along with everyone else, I knew it was Michael. I saw that coming. Yet, the only reason I was able to see it coming was because of the fact that I knew Harold Perrineau was being brought back to the show. If I had missed that little piece of information, I would’ve been amoung the minority that was completely dumbfounded upon finding out the spy was Michael. Back to my point…

If Hawking turns out to be Daniel’s mom, I may feel cheated a bit. There are a few things that just don’t add up for me. The first being the fact that Daniel mentions his mother in one episode, and by the end of the next, we’re seeing Ms. Hawking doing some kooky calculations. This feels too coincidental to me. Maybe it was the fact that the two episodes were back to back, and this made it seem like the reveal was coming too quickly. I don’t know what it is, all I know is that I don’t really want her to be his mom. How about making his mother some one we’ve never met before?

Another thing that doesn’t add up is Hawking’s connection to Ben and Widmore. If Hawking is Ms. Faraday, and Widmore knows where she is, does he know she’s working with Ben? Widmore must be aware of the fact that Hawking is trying to find the location of the island. Perhaps she was the one who found it for him and his happy freighter crew. So when did she start working with Ben? How does she know about the island? Is she Ellie? There are so many questions surrounding this woman. I’m just hoping that Lost continues to keep us surprised with the revelation that Hawking and Ms. Faraday are not the same person.

72 Responses to “Yet Another Mrs. Hawking Post”

1. hyperRevue says:

“Is she Ellie?”

• VeryInformedAboutLost says:

for one… i believe that Ellie is Mrs. Hawkings…aka…Eloise Faraday/Hawking….because(from watching the episode three times already thanks to fancast) when she’s on the island with Daniel, she’s trying to be very tight lipped…like biting her lips… or making her mouth smaller..if you go back to previous episodes with Mrs. Hawking (the lady that met with Desmond ) she does the same thing….remember…ABC is all about small clues with lost. And it fits namewise…Ellie is short for Eloise… Noone should feel cheated…i don’t…it’s just that we waited so long for lost to return that the 2 episodes together ruined the suspense for next week..but i kind of needed it because i’ve been on pins and needles for lost to come back.

another thing…i believe that Daniel Faraday is the child of Mrs. Hawking and Charles Widmore…they were BOTH on the island at the same time…. and they are BOTH much older in present time. Remember..in the past episode that aired this week..Jughead.. it was discovered by Desmond that Charles Widmore (his father in law or whatever) had been funding Daniel Faradays research for 10 whole years…why would he do that? He’s the type of man that wont give anything for free unless he owes it to you or is getting something in return. In this case…he’s funding his sons ideas because of just that…Daniel is his son..and he obviously believes in him because he is an OTHER from the 50′s… so he knows about the islands abilities and all these crazy things that can happen. Also…the woman Desmond found in the picture with Daniel Faraday at the school is Theresa.. and why else would Widmore be funding taking care of her? Because he feels guilty or like he owes her because his son loved her and now has her mind in a constant time travel loop…

and i agree with alaine…Mrs. Hawking doesnt agree with the way Widmore does business and she wont help him because he tried to kill everyone on the island…forgetting his roots and his “other” family after he became a big shot. Mrs. Hawking doesn’t want anyone hurt and knows what’s going on on the island…where her son is…why is why she’s helping Ben…because the time shifting can kill everyone or atleast harm them in a deadly way (remember Charlotte passing out) so she must stop this before every dies, thus why she’s helping Ben get everyone back to the island.

and…my own personal theory… i also suspect that the original purpose of that hatch was to hold the bomb in a big pile of concrete which we saw in season 2…and that tells why everyone who was near it wore radioactive suits. remember…. Daniel told Ellie in Jughead that he needed lead or concrete to seal the bomb and nothing would happen…thus..the hatch being built.

AND LASTLY..from watching Good Morning America with Evangeline Lilly…the guy announces that the producers of lost have announced that lost officially only has 32 hours of showtime left..and that lost will officially end in 2010… so things may seemed rushed a bit or a little too obvious, because they have to get to the point soon about the island and everything else..and that’s alot of wrapping up to do within a years time…

i hate for it to end…but as long as everything gets explained and they don’t cut it off abruptly.. i wont be pissed..and my heart will get closure…so i’ll live.

2. Alaine says:

Of course things don’t add up. We don’t have the whole story yet. I think Hawking is Faraday’s mother. I also believe Hawking is “Ellie.” Therefore she would know all about the island just like Charles Widmore. Perhaps Hawking doesn’t agree with Widmore’s plans for the island, that’s why she is working with Ben, to protect it.
    There are so many questions unanswered for every character on the show. Why does this set of questions and revelations leave you feeling cheated?
    I can’t wait to find out if Hawking is Faraday’s mother. Regardless of who she is, I know I won’t feel cheated. I have a vested interest in how it turns out, but in the end, it’s not my story to tell. It’s the writer’s story to tell however they see fit. I am certainly enjoying the ride!

• professorstotch says:

I’m enjoying the ride as well. I would feel cheated because I want my ride to be in the dark, unpredictable, and bumpy as hell. If she turns out to be his mother, it’d be something that everyone saw coming. I would feel cheated because of the predictability. Not the actual revelation itself.

• DJ says:

You’re acting like you’ve seen this coming for months. They will probably reveal it for sure in the next episode and they hinted at it in this episode. That’s not really seeing it coming. They basically “revealed” it in this episode but didn’t come out and say it.

• lockeheart says:

I guess i will feel a little cheated, but can you honestly say you could plug a random new character into that role better then a Mrs. Hawking. Lost sometimes can be predictable, but in a sense i think the writers are doin it on purpose. In the next few eps they will answer the question that, yes, hawking is faradays mother, then they will give us a boatload of questions about her motives, past, and connections to other characters and the island.

• JD says:

I think the only reason you all feel like you’re being cheated is because the LOST writer’s keep wanting to play this game where they give you the answer to the mystery without ACTUALLY giving it to you. The whole Michael thing was a true example of this. It wasn’t the revelation itself… I loved the concept of Michael returning to spy for Ben. It was the long, drawn-out process in which the writer’s used to fully reveal it. At the end of 4.02, ‘Confirmed Dead’, Ben reveals he has a spy on the freighter, then bang… LOST. What would have been better, in my opinion, is if Sawyer or Locke then forced Ben to tell them who it was.
            Ben spills out all the information about Charlotte, and then…
            LOCKE: How do you know all this?
            BEN: Because I have a spy on their boat.
            SAWYER: Oh really Captain Bug-Eye. And who might that be?
            BEN: Michael!
            BANG – LOST.
            Some might say that by doing it that way it would detract from the suspense of when Sayid and Desmond first encounter Michael on the freighter. But I disagree with that, because although you were fully expecting it to be Michael to emerge from the shadows after being summoned by the Doc, there still would have be that anticipation that perhaps Ben was just lieing, and it wasn’t Michael after all. “Here he comes, here he comes. Is it Michael? Maybe it’s not. Ah, it’s him. Cool!”
            The same is happening here with the whole Faraday/Hawking issue. How much cooler would it have been if Faraday were able to tell Desmond who his mother was before time jumping. I think the better mystery to drag out a little would be the is Hawking/Faraday’s mother and Ellie the same person mystery. Anyway… let the story continuum.

3. Dwight says:

It also bugs me that when Desmond caught up with Daniel at Oxford, he said “I know about Eloise” and Daniel began trusting Desmond. If Eloise was also Daniel’s mother’s name, then whey would he be so convinced that Desmond’s story was true. Why would that prove that some of his colleagues weren’t just playing a trick on him, as Daniel originally suggested?

The whole Eloise name connection (and thanks so much, ABC episode enhancers, for spoiling that little reveal) makes me think that they are setting up Ms. Hawking to be Farraday’s mom, but I also hope that isn’t the case.

• professorstotch says:

I didn’t think about this. Anyone could have gotten the name of his mother and could have still been playing this joke on him. Good point.

• Mandeville says:

Excellent point. On a related note, I’d like to see the option of voting comments up.

• Charlie's Ghost says:

Because that was also the name of the rat that Daniel did the kind of experiments on that Oxford frowns upon.

• The Magician says:

Yes exactly… I think some people are so quick to try and pick holes in the show that they’re not always thinking straight.

And why would anyone want Faradays mother to be a random new character we haven’t see before? There would be no dramatic pay off in that, whatsoever. It is only a minor mystery in the show (if you can even call it a mystery).

Besides, with Des and Penny heading to Ms Hawking and Ben (who wants to kill Penny without her realisng), it leads to some potentially incredible and dramatic scenes…

• lockeheart says:

Great point Magician, Penny and ben in LA. Its only a matter of time before thier respective paths cross. I dont know about you but i cant wait to see what ben does with that penny promise to widmore and how it all pans out.

• The Magician says:

Definitely…. the tension in knowing that Desmond and Penny are headed towards the man who wants to kill her is intense…

That being said, I don’t believe Ben will actually kill Penny. I think he might hold her at gunpoint and tell her that her father is responsible for the death of his own daughter, then let her go. I would like to think Ben has risen above it, and feel this may possibly be the case.

This would show Penny that he’s actually a better man than Widmore, and might drive her even further away from her father (maybe to the point of helping Ben?).

4. Rick says:

just an aside here for a moment but as the show starts to wrap up wouldnt it become more predictable as now we’re getting more answers to better our theories

• professorstotch says:

I don’t think so. I’m hoping they’ll always keep us on our toes.

• Alaine says:

I think you are right. With all the knowledge we have gained over the past 4+ seasons, it would be nearly impossible for all of the answers to come out of left field. I don’t want the answers to be schlockey. I’m sure they will be coming fast and furious now.

• Karona says:

I completely agree. We will still be in the dark about many things but at the same time they have to start laying the ground to close the show next year. They can’t drag everything out until the end. Eventually, the good guys will all have to aline and fight the bad guys.

5. Hipster Doofus says:

I think making his mother be someone else would be silly.

And Charles might not necessarily know what she’s doing in Los Angeles. Or he might know, but might not know she’s working with Ben. Certainly if he knew she was working with Ben, he wouldn’t have sent Penny straight towards Ben, who he knows Ben wants to kill.

Yeah, there are some unanswered questions, but having Faraday’s mother be someone else would create even more questions…I think.

And as far as the predictability thing goes….you have to remember what SonyaLynn said in her post..they don’t write this show necessarily for crazy people like us. They write it for TV viewers.

And at this point, you’re going to have to stop getting annoyed with not being totally surprised. We’re at the point where Answers > Questions. Imagine that you’re looking at a puzzle of which the final solution is a mystery, and as they put in more and more pieces, you start to see the big picture. Yeah, the fun of trying to figure out what the hell the puzzle will become is gone, but the satisfaction of completing the puzzle will replace it. That’s where were heading with the show, and I’m excited as hell.

6. hyperRevue says:

Very well put. The puzzle analogy is perfect.

Stuff is now starting to take shape so it’s only to be expected that we’ll see more things coming.

7. Will says:

Don’t worry. There will be plenty of shocking surprises in addition to this seemingly obvious connection.

8. chard says:

any1 notice that the lady desmond spoke with @ oxford looks a lot like the oceanic airlines employee that helped oo-go get on flight 815?

9. Joshua says:

She is his mom! Her name is Eloise Hawking, this was mentioned in the enhanced version of “The Lie.”
    Faradays rat that he used in the name was named Eloise.
    The girl on the Island is being referred to as “Elle,” which is a common nickname for Eloise, a common name of that Era.

Yes its very predictable, but ive all alot of things that happen in the show, in fact the second i saw her holding the gun i made that prediction, it is very lost like. Thats why Faraday was always staring her down and was mentioning that she looked alot like someone. ‘

This is why Hawking knows everything she does, she is from the Island, she obviously knows Widmore; SHE COULD EVEN BE PENNYS MOTHER!!! MAKING FARADAY AND PENNY BROTHER AND SISTER. Widmore did know all about Faradays research and helped support that girl. This story line seems very Claire-Christian-Jack esque.

But Elle being Eloise, and becoming like the all nowing woman is very likely at the rate the show is going!

10. Colin says:

After 4 seasons of not knowing what’s going on and making predictions that are WAY off – isn’t it kind of nice to be right for a change? With less than 30-something episodes left – answers are going to come easier. I think it would be more frustrating if they kept piling up the unanswerable questions to leave until the last couple episodes of the series when they’ll have to rush to answer them all. There’s still plenty to find out! It’s not like knowing the identity of Ms. Hawking/Daniel’s mom is going to be the biggest mystery of the show. Maybe they’re using her to set up something even bigger and more shocking!

11. claytron5000 says:

Yeah, it’s predictable especially when the stupid ABC “pop-up video” people spoil the reveal but at the same time I’m not sure I want to be questioning everyone’s true indentity until the end. There are 31 (yikes) episodes left and the mosaic should start become clearer as we get to the end. Otherwise what have we been waiting for? And by the way, doesn’t knowing that Ms. Hawking is Dan’s mom bring forth twenty other questions anyway?

12. Desi's Brother says:

I have been buying into the whole Eloise Hawkings is Daniel’s mother thing too.

But it does seem way to predicatable.

If she is the better way of revealing it would be The Church Basement scene followed by a doorbell ring—she answers the Desmond at the door. That would have been an amazing moment. So that fact that it didn’t come out that way makes me think we are being lead down a rabit hole on this thing.

It is kind of like “Eggtown” where we were lead to think Kate’s baby was Sawyers only to have it revealed as Aaron. WTF! That was was a great shocker moment and I’m sure the writers are doing it again with Mrs. Hawkings.

But his mother still has to be someone good and already seen in the story I think.

13. imfromthepast says:

Give in to your hatred and join the Dark Side already!

14. mayonaise says:

What about this: in one of the episodes a while back, one of the Others was talking to Juliet (forgot her name, but she was Goodwin’s wife). When Juliet was surprised that Ben took a liking to her, the chick said, “Well you look just like her”. Do you think Juliet looks kind of like Ellie? Maybe there was some weird love triangle between Widmore/Ben/Ellie, perhaps sparking the war between ben and widmore? They could have been all the same age (well relatively speaking, if no one ages on the island), and Widmore and Ellie would have aged once they were “exiled”.

15. ErasedSlate says:

Actually, I think Daniel’s mom is the Butcher that is now keeping Locke’s body safe (just pulling that one from the round steak area). Elle just didn’t seem to be the scientifically inquisitive type as Ms. Hawking. If Elle is really Eloise, and Eloise is really Daniel’s mom, does that make Brother Campbell daddy?

• lockeheart says:

Thats a great point, she seemed like she was more of a grunt then a scientist. Granted it did seem like she had some power amungst the others, and scientific investigating was never really the others bag (minus baby making problems), she couldnt diffuse the bomb and she never spoke at all about any scientific prowess.

16. Benny says:

This might be too predictable. But the easiness of this predictability and the details surrounding it means that everyone will (is) speculating and discussing the issue with such vigor that some other topics are left untouched.

My point being, this predictability may have been inserted as a diversion from another plot point/reveal.

17. autochthonous says:

Don’t you think that it’s possible that Hawking is working for Widmore without her knowledge? Just because he knows where she is doesn’t mean that he’s had contact with her. In fact, I would guess that Widmore WANTS Hawking to find the island, by helping Ben find the island, because then… Widmore finds the island. Which is what he wants.

• lockeheart says:

Thats true. If widmore is anything like ben, which i believe he is, he probably has some type of mole or informant that is working with hawking and feeding witmore the information she uncovers.

18. Mandeville says:

LOST has been 1-degree of separation from day one, the only trick was figuring out how, not who.

As far as the “against the rules” no killing clause, I assume that they know that one of the three (Ben, Eloise, Charles) need to be alive to fulfill some known, but not fully understood role. If any of them die it may have dire repercussions that may outweigh any feeling of animosity they have towards each other. I’m sure Abaddon and Jacob have a role in that final act too. I would consider all of the “Others” as potential red shirts, even Richard. I think it’s notable that Ben is the only real fatalist of the bunch.

• hyperRevue says:

WHEN WILL WE SEE ABADDON!?!

Sorry…

• lockeheart says:

Abaddon, hell yeah. I cant wait to see him again but i know the actor has been working on fringe so im not sure what his status is.
        Someone please let me know if they have heard anything about Lance Riddick/Abaddon coming back this season.
        For that matter what about the aloha man himself Frank lapidus! I know he was in “the lie” but i just dont see how his story fits in to the rest of the characters. ***unless he is the one getting the 06 back. pretty please let that be true.

19. Hexonxonx says:

Again, plural words like “writers” don’t have an apostrophe. But good post.

20. I don’t necessarily think it is too predictable that Ms. Hawking might be Faraday’s mother. It may seem that way, but remember…we LOST fans approach each episode like an English major does a novel by Faulkner or Joyce. We analyze every nook and cranny of each episode. Hell, most of us spend more time reading and writing about the show than we actually do watching it. So, of course we are going to pick up on clues — both obvious and not so obvious. That doesn’t make the show too predictable; it just means we are damn good readers.

Will it be a problem if Hawking is Daniel’s mom? No. Not any more so than it was a problem having Michael as Ben’s freighter spy. These reveals set up the bigger picture, which very few of us — no matter how well versed we are on the subject of LOST — will see coming.

21. barrus says:

I have a thought, I think Eloise and Brother Campbell are a part of religious sect,a distant relative of the druids. Did anyone notice the cloak/robe she was wearing while charting out the island position. I somehow get the feeling that it all goes back to the 4 toed statue on the island. ??

22. izikavazo says:

The writers like to throw out obvious things too, they like us to feel smart. So yeah I think that Ms. Hawking is Faraday’s mom, and there’s no need to make a big deal about it. It’s not like they don’t have big mysteries anymore.

23. VeryInformedAboutLost says:

Also…Locke’s meeting with Richard in the “50′s”..now explains why Richard took the submarine to find Lock as a child in the first place. Remember when Richard did the last test the John and told him “one of these things are yours”…and John picked up the knife (i believe…many facts rolling thru my head)…Richard seemed disappointed and grabbed the stuff and walked out..never to be seen or heard from for a long time…in that meeting that Locke had with Richard in the 50′s..he hands him a compass..and tells Richard that he gave that to him…well..when the flash happened.. i didn’t see Locke holding that compass anymore…and the compass is what Richard was expecting Locke to pick out of those items…He didn’t know about Locke’s knife at the time, tho it may be too coincidental that he had a knife similar to John Locke’s knife too.. Daniel said that things wouldn’t be changed and that you couldn’t change time..but obviously…they did…otherwise..why else would Richard go to John Locke as a boy and be testing him….because John Locke himself years before told him he was going to be his leader and told him when he was born and everything….alot of things are coming to light…i just have to watch the episodes 3 times each time to find the deeper hidden clues….and there is much more to be discovered with this past episode of jughead..and the little prince….the one to come…there are two characters that some of you may remember coming up soon…like claire’s mom… (think of how someone knows aaron isnt kates….hmmmmmmmmmmmm)

24. VeryInformedAboutLost says:

another thing…i believe that Daniel Faraday is the child of Mrs. Hawking and Charles Widmore…they were BOTH on the island at the same time…. and they are BOTH much older in present time. Remember..in the past episode that aired this week..Jughead.. it was discovered by Desmond that Charles Widmore (his father in law or whatever) had been funding Daniel Faradays research for 10 whole years…why would he do that? He’s the type of man that wont give anything for free unless he owes it to you or is getting something in return. In this case…he’s funding his sons ideas because of just that…Daniel is his son..and he obviously believes in him because he is an OTHER from the 50’s… so he knows about the islands abilities and all these crazy things that can happen. Also…the woman Desmond found in the picture with Daniel Faraday at the school is Theresa.. and why else would Widmore be funding taking care of her? Because he feels guilty or like he owes her because his son loved her and now has her mind in a constant time travel loop…

25. Rick says:

quick semi observation .. if i remember correctly .. doesnt Hawking have blue eyes and the younger elli have brown? .. all eye color observations aside .. why cant ELLI be short for DANIELLE? does she not have that same quick speaking slight accent as well? why hasnt anyone made that connection?

• hyperRevue says:

As in Rousseau?

Ellie wasn’t French. And, besides, Rousseau would have to be her in 70s when we first say her then.

• The Magician says:

“The same quick speaking slight accent?” LOL!

Where I’m from (England) we call that an British-English accent (although the actress playing Ellie does seem to be struggling with it). There is a entire world of difference between English and French accents, I don’t know how anybody could possibly confuse them.

Danielle is quite clearly French, right down from her accent to the fact she left a message playing entirely in French.

Oh, and throw into the equation that next weeks episode has “Young Frenchwoman” listed as being in the cast, we can safely assume that THIS will be Danielle.

26. Titan says:

Although everyone on the show refers to Rousseau as, “the French woman,” her dialect is unmistakably NOT French. In fact, she appears to speak in an Eastern European dialect. Whether this is significant, or a poorly executed dialect by the actress is up for grabs- but Rousseau is definitely NOT speaking with a French dialect. The only thing French about her is, of course, she recorded the transmission at the radio tower in French. I hate to think that we are meant to believe that this woman is French because of a generic, unspecific dialect choice, but it is beginning to seem that way…

• hyperRevue says:

Also, Rousseau is a French name.

• professorstotch says:

I have a French name, but I’m not French.

As for the theories that Ellie and Danielle are the same person, I doubt that one is possible. Unless Ellie some how managed to lose her undeniable British accent and pick up an Eastern European accent.

• hyperRevue says:

Fair enough. But if you had a French name, spoke in French and had an ambiguous European accent, I think it’d be a safe bet that you were French.

• The Magician says:

Precisely, hyper. Not to mention the fact that all her notes were written in French (Shannon transcribed them) and every one who has ever encountered her refers to her as being ‘The French woman’.

The actress, Mira Furlon *is* Eastern European, so yes, she probably hasn’t done the accent very well.

27. dolce says:

Also, Rousseau has only been on the island for 16 years or so…

• Rick says:

that was my one major snag .. although did it say she crashed 16 years ago or had the sickness make her take out her crew and transmit 16 years ago .. dude i cant keep track of everything anymore

• VeryInformedAboutLost says:

from what i know about biology, people in tropical climates or on land masses that’s elevation is low,ie. africa, america, puerto rico, mexico, etc have darker eyes, ie. brown, light brown, shades of green, hazel, etc…and people on land masses of higher elevation, ie. europe, the netherlands, etc, have shades of blue. It is a known fact that a persons eye color change or lighten (not entirely though)over time dependent on how long they’ve been in another elevation..and we don’t know when Ellie who could be mrs. Hawking, left the island and exactly how old she is now..so it may be possible…and…just off the top of my head..she might have cataracts now…so her eye sight may be going..and that can cause a persons eye color to change as well….

• Rick says:

i’m just sayin it doesnt seem plausible that they’d make those two characters that obvious .. i mean we are figuring out more clues now that the show is gearing up for the finale .. but it could just be an oversight ..or they could lead you to believe that only to throw a wrench in your way

28. VeryInformedAboutLost says:

may be stupid too…but i’m just trying to go with the flow until i start randomly thinking about lost and all it’s antics again…

29. Alaine says:

Someone posted a theory that Widmore and Hawking are brother and sister. I would never take credit for someone else’s material (Amen, Doc!) I quite agree. When 1954 Widmore ran into Alpert’s camp saying he was outnumbered. Ellie scoffs and said “outnumbered, huh?” 1954 Widmore shoots back, “Shut Up Ellie! That sounds like every brother and sister I have ever met. It sounds more like siblings than a boyfield/girlfriend exchange. If Widmore and Hawking were siblings, it would explain why present day Widmore lets Hawking search for the island freely. We know Widmore wants to find the island at all costs. Could he really kill his sister to find the island again? Although we know Widmore is very interested in Faraday’s research, it doesn’t seem all that strange to be supporting your nephew financially.