Posted by Marc Oromaner on Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 at 11:07 pm - filed under Lost In Myth - (31) Comments
Want TV News? Visit TVOvermind.com

2jackandkateBefore I go to sleep at night, sometimes I ask the universe a question about my destiny. The answer, as bizarre as it may seem, usually comes in the form of a song that wakes me up on my clock radio the next morning. While I haven’t done this in awhile, last night I once again had the urge.  I asked the universe (God, the light, soul guides, my future self, whatever you wanna call it) what is going to happen on December 22, 2012—the day after the Mayan calendar abruptly ends.  The answer I received really surprised me.

For those who don’t know, the Mayans were astrological masterminds and their incredibly precise Long Count calendar ends on December 21st, 2012—a day that coincides with a very rare cosmic event. On that day, the winter solstice sun will line up with the center of the Milky Way galaxy (as seen from the perspective of the Earth) for the first time in nearly 26,000 years.  The Mayans thought this was a pretty big deal. In fact, they pretty much revolved their entire culture around it.

Anyway, since we’re getting rather close to that date, I figured it was about time I asked the question.  As usual, the song that woke me up the next morning didn’t disappoint. While I was kind of expecting to hear Barry McGuire’s “Eve of Destruction” or R.E.M.’s “It’s the End of the World as We Know It,” the answer sort of surprised my pessimistic musings.  The exact lyric that woke me up was: “Some day, we’ll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun. Some day when the world is much brighter” from The 5 Stairstep’s “Ooh Child (Things Are Gonna Get Easier).” (I find that the oldies stations work the best at giving me messages, probably because I admittedly know more oldies songs.)

Click For Full Size

Click For Full Size

Whether or not this has any relevance to what is going to happen in 2012, I don’t know. I have to admit, though, it at least made me smile and gave me a much needed boost of confidence to continue on my path. After all, if we all knew that the world was going to end, anything we do now would seem kind of pointless.  While it all may be a trick or could mean that climate change may finally cook the Earth with the rays of the beautiful sun, I’m leaning on the side of optimism here.  My initial impression was that the universe would like me to continue doing what I’m doing. And considering that you’re reading this, it probably wants you continue what you’re doing too.

Since this is supposed to be a column about Lost, you may be wondering what any of this has to do with the show, and specifically, its most recent episode, “Whatever Happened, Happened.” Allow me to explain. From the most apparent perspective, the title of the episode relates to how time travel works in the Lost universe. It is non-paradoxical, meaning you can’t change anything. So, whatever happened, happened. While this may be exactly how time really works in our world (which I disagree with since I believe in multiple parallel timelines, or multiverse theory), I think the theme of the episode is actually a metaphor for something else—destiny.

I believe that we all have a definite destiny that, like non-paradoxical time, cannot be changed. However, I also believe that there are many ways to get there and most of us, ultimately, do not.  I like to think of destiny as the fate of our highest selves, the life course that would bring us the greatest joy but involves us overcoming our deepest fears.  When we are on this path, our life goes relatively smoothly. When we aren’t, nothing seems to go right. When we are experiencing the latter, from our perspective it may seem like we’re total losers or that the universe hates us. The truth is though, there is a much bigger picture and at the moment, we are just temporarily coloring outside the lines. In other words, while your life may seem like it’s falling apart, you are more likely just being given room to start living a better one—one more in line with your true destiny. The universe is simply doing what it can to get you out of your own way.

After four and a half seasons of always trying to fix things, Jack finally came to this realization in “Whatever Happens, Happens.” Deciding he wasn’t going to fix Ben this time, he tells Kate that maybe the island just wants to fix things itself. That maybe, “I was just getting in the way.” Bingo! Yes, Jack was never meant to fix Ben even the first time! The island, a.k.a., the universe, was continually giving him things to fix so he would have an opportunity to so, “no.” Finally, he has!

I believe that Jack was never supposed to fix anything at all and was not meant to leave the island until he learned this. Similarly, Kate was not meant to raise Aaron forever, only until she could learn to be responsible and not run away. Sawyer was not meant to be with Kate until he could learn to commit to one woman, which he has with Juliet. Young Ben was not meant to die, because he must grow up to teach these lessons to everyone else. Just like the characters on Lost, we will struggle until we learn to conquer ourselves. We will struggle until we realize our destiny and work towards it, rather than against it.

If only we could be like the Maya, and know our destinies from the moment we were born. One of the Mayan calendars known as the Calendar Round combines their circular 260-day Tzolkin calendar with their circular 365-day Haab calendar together as two interlocking gears. Each day (one of the gears) represented a different energy to the Maya. Since the two calendars each had a different number of gears, they would interlock at varying points over time. The combination of the two gears that connected on the day you were born represent your destiny. So for me, those two gears might have been “spirituality” and “media” (in modern terms) since I believe it is my destiny to combine and interpret these energies.  For you it might be “music” and “napping” or whatever it is you do best.

While we aren’t Maya, I still believe it is entirely possible to figure out our respective destinies. For starters, if you keep hitting brick walls in your life, change direction. As they say, “Out of rejection, comes direction.” Yep, they really do say that.  One that I made up (since these rhyming motivational declarations seem all the rage lately) is, “Challenge yourself to grow, then life will 1dharmalogosflow.” Let life happen for you. Get out of your own way as Jack said. Leave a space and let life do its thing. This doesn’t mean you should do nothing, it means to stop doing what isn’t working. Einstein supposedly said: “insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”  According to destiny, what you think you want (mind), and what you actually need (soul), may be two different things.

So, how can you figure out your destiny? Once you know what it isn’t, think about what it might be. What gives you the most pleasure? Something that you’re good at and gives you the most energy? Something you enjoy sharing with others. Okay, besides sex. Is there a talent you have or a hobby or something you dreamed of being when you were a kid? If so, it’s likely related. Next, look at your life. What is it that your parents do? Your mom is an art teacher and your dad a doctor? Perhaps you are meant to teach art therapy. Your mother is very religious and your dad is a scientist? Perhaps you’re meant to bridge the two philosophies. Your birth parents are hippies and your adoptive parents are accountants and your adoptive dad got divorced and remarried to an attorney and your adoptive mom now has a lesbian relationship with a waitress and your stepbrother is a circus clown? I’ll let you figure that one out, but you get the point. We all have a destiny, and if we listen to the whispers, act in spite of our fears and conquer the murky monster of doubt, we will succeed in fulfilling it. And something tells me the characters of Lost will succeed at fulfilling theirs too.

Next week: Does Richard Alpert carrying a dying Ben to a temple remind you of anything? How about Rameses carrying his dead son to the Egyptian god altar of Sokar in The Ten Commandments? Is dead really dead? Find out next week!
Marc Oromaner is a New York City writer whose book, The Myth of Lost offers a simple solution to Lost and uncovers its hidden insight into the mysteries of life. He can be contacted in the discussion section of The Myth of Lost Facebook page.

The Myth of Lost is available on Amazon and barnesandnoble.com.

31 Responses to “Marc Oromaner’s Lost In Myth: “Whatever Happened, Happened”—Figuring out your destiny from Lost and life.”

1. Beena says:

I agree the characters of LOST are all fulfilling their destinies. John who went through most of his life feeling unimportant, is now resurrected and has a special purpose on the island. Jack has gone from control freak to a person who is more patient and awaits guidance. Sawyer went from unreliable con man to someone you can depend on. Kate went from being self absorbed to someone willing to make a sacrifice to do the right thing. Sayid has gone from hunter with no purpose to being hunted for something he felt important. Juliet went from someone who watched baby after baby die, to someone who brought a baby into the world and could help a child. Jin has gone from someone who was always a little bit removed from things to someone who overcame a language barrier and is part of a team. Etc.

And we haven’t even got to Ben, who is also awaiting a destiny!

Sometimes the real magic of LOST is right before your eyes and lies in the characters but gets obscured by the mysteries of the statue, time travel, etc..The real magic is in the characters and always has been!

2. Beena says:

Forgot to add:
    Marc, be glad the song you are waking up to everyday isn’t “I got you babe” like Ground Hog Day!

3. Dolce says:

Very insightful. Also: “Ooh ( child )” by the 5 Stairsteps is one of my all time faves. Who can’t be inspired by song? I defy you not to get tingly when you listen.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXwfA5a-I3U

4. Dolce says:

Let me try that again… Not good at posting links.

5. Bombay says:

This weeks episode was pretty interesting. I thought the scenes with Kate having to leave Aaron behind was very touching. I also loved the scene where Hurley and Miles were debating over how time travel worked. It was freakin hilarious seeing the two of them try to make sense of it. Anyways for the person who missed the episode, I just watched it online here…

6. Mirko says:

Thank you, Marc!

“Challenge yourself to grow, then life will flow.”
    Just as the body needs food to grow, the soul needs love to grow. Love is a basic need of life. That is the need of modern society. In reality, love is that, what sustains life. These are words spoken by Mata Amritanandamayi, an enlightened Master of the present time who is revered as embodiment of the Divine by her followers and known to the world as “the hugging saint”.

“What is going to happen on December 22, 2012—the day after the Mayan calendar abruptly ends? […] If only we could be like the Maya, and know our destinies from the moment we were born.”

The destiny of our current age is to preserve our planet and all the various species living on it. In reality, what truthfully means in the light of love (which is the essential source and energy of Paramatman, the Supreme Soul), we are born to learn that “otherhood” or differentness does not really exist. We are ONE kind, ONE planet, ONE life. It’s like in LOST: In truth, there are no “others” – we, the protagonists of our lifes, are born (again) to recognize the unity of life. The “Island” called Earth is the place where all families reunite, the place we all depend on. “The Others” a.k.a. “us” (actually a reference to the Secrets of Lost) :) are the ones, chosen to protect this place. WE ARE THE ONES, we have been waiting for.

Global consciousness is evolving. The transformation of the post-industrial western society and collective mind has already begun. 2012 will be one time-frame for a major shift, a gate into the age of integral, post-rational, global culture. At least 20% of the people will be able to gain the stage of integral consciousness. Especially the new born children of our time. It’s gonna be a planet of Nonduality. :D

• Thanks for your reply Mirko. I know of Amma (the hugging saint) and was privileged enough to receive a hug from her last time she was in NYC.

As for, “we are the ones we have been waiting for,” I love that and reference it in my presentations. In fact, you can hear me quickly mention it in this highlight video on YouTube:

I reference it at 9:39 (right at the end)

• Commie-land here we come.

I just can’t get over how you collectivists preach “destiny” for individuals and then tack over to non-idividuality

Save the world – WE ARE THE ONES – my ass!

Control freak communism, is what you’re talking about, and instead of saving the world you are talking about destroying the human race.

Bunch of idiots. I don’t like to be mean or cruel, but sometimes you just have to call someone a knucklehead.

7. MedusaSpider says:

Well thought out, well presented thesis, Marc.
    But as you pointed out, what has it to do with Lost?
    Not so much I think.
    I guess I lean much further towards a mechanistic, post-Copernican, non-anthropomorphic view of the universe.
    I have a feeling, based on what we’ve seen so far, that the writers are of a similar mind. Whatever happened, happened.

• Thanks. My original intention after watching the episode was to make a direct comparison of the non-paradoxical time travel of “Whaqtever Happened, Happened” and (and Jack’s new found realization) to our individual destinies which I believe are set in stone. To me, that is the metaphor of what all these time travel episodes are about.

However, when I woke up with that song, I realized how uncanny it was that it fit into the destiny theme, and thought it would be a good opportunity to bring up 2012. Admittedly, LOST was really secondary in this post, but I like to go with the flow when I can. I usually do my best to split spirituality/myth and LOST 50-50 in my posts. In this one, it favored more mythology. Perhaps next week it’ll be more LOST. The universe likes to course correct.

8. LOST With Lyndsey says:

I loved this post, Marc.
    My ego often takes control of my brain and suddenly I find myself mid-internal debate on the whole fate-freewill-destiny issue (as I’m sure many hardcore LOST fans do…)
    On a very pedestrian level, I think that we are inclined to believe that anything MAJOR that occurs in our lives (surviving a potentially fatal crash, for example) is somehow ‘fated.’ That this was ‘meant for us’ and since this massive, life-changing event happened, clearly our path is delineated and we must see it through. No questions asked.
    But what if the ‘big stuff’ is merely meant as a ‘for now’ or is simply a covered walkway leading to the next space we are meant to be? For instance,I met my husband is a severely improbable manner. Twice. These two occurrences took place 5 years apart and were completely unrelated. Of course, every time we tell the story the reaction is “OH MY GOD! That is insane! You two were meant to be!”
    And while I can neither confirm or deny that (it’s been 3 years and I tend err on the side of caution) it is certainly an amazing story and has been a complete blessing. Still, who’s to say that either of us aren’t merely a massive placeholder, meant to ensure that the other one runs to the market sometime in 2010 and meets their real ‘destiny.’ While I would like to believe that isn’t the case what if the ‘BIG-NESS’involved in our meeting(s) was just added for effect?
    I think it is wise to consider the possibility that the ‘big things’ may just be the Universe acting sassy and that we must remain willing to change direction, as you said, when it’s not working. Destiny may have your back, but we have to hear not just the big bang’s but the whispers. I personally love the new waiting for “Further Instructions” Jack. I think we all have a personal, course-correcting ‘Smoke Monster,’ and I’m digging that Jack is finally heeding his…

“And my only intention, for all my racing, was to stay in the same place.”~ Issac Asimov “The Red Queen’s Race”

• Glad you enjoyed it Lyndsey. I kinda look at it this way:
      1. Your soul creates a path it wants to experience before you are born.
      2. Once born, this path gives you the most joy, but also a lot of fear (challenge).
      3. Your soul sends “further instructions” as you sleep, nudging you on your journey.
      4. Subconsciously, your mind creates or jumps into the realities where the things you need to happen will be made available for you. (Your husband) If you are off the path, more challenging things will happen.

In other words, if you kept meeting your future husband, it might not mean that he is your true love, but the person you need to spend the most time with to take you where you ultimately want to go. Granted, true love can come from that. I sometimes think that love at first site isn’t love at all, but simply recognizing someone from your own future.

When you met your future hubby the first time, you might not have been ready for him then, and it might not have worked out. If this happened, but you grew in that time, you’d then meet a proxy to fulfill his position, or get back together with him. Both of you are meant to help each other grow to where you both want to ultimately go.

I talk more about that in the Lost in Myth column on proxies from last week. For more on Fate vs Freedom of Choice, that was from several weeks ago. Here’s the link if you’re interested:

Thanks for sharing!

9. summerrain says:

Hi Marc,
    I like the way you think! Almost, you make me feel hopeful.
    And, I’ve been to ITunes to download that song. It was a great answer to your question, and not one I would have thought for that day. Yes, much much better than the Eve of Destruction.
    Perhaps our beloved Losties will also find the “rays of a beautiful sun” for their own lives. Not poor Sayid though, I fear that his soul is too shattered to heal right now. Hopefully not. Thanks for the insightful recaps, keep writing and inspiring. Peace.

• Thanks summerrain. If there’s one lesson I am doing my best to ingrain in my brain it is to just feel the way I want to feel regardless of my surroundings. So, to feel completely full of hope, just make up your mind to feel that way. Fake it ’til ya make it. Life builds upon our attitudes about it. The more hopeful and joyful we are, the more likely our experiences will grow to match. That’s been my experience. It’s a work in progress.

10. sabrina says:

Thanks for the insights.

11. URSUS MARITIMUS says:

Hurm.

“On that day, the winter solstice sun will line up with the center of the Milky Way galaxy (as seen from the perspective of the Earth) for the first time in nearly 26,000 years.”

This is not true. According to the calculations of the Belgian astronomer Jean Meesus, this alignment occurred in 1998, as published in his book “Mathematical Astronomy Morsels.” Most astrophysicists concur with his calculation.

The idea that the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar predicts any such event is due mostly to pop culture speculation, and (in my opinion) the general tendency for Westerners of all stripes to co-opt the cultures of other people in order to create a new symbolic meaning. It’s a tradition we share with the old Roman empire.

Namaste.

• hahahahhahahahahhahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa….

The end of the world already happened and no one noticed!!!

hhahahahhahhahahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Thanks for the link, UM.

I’m no astronomer, but I’ve seen and read in many, many places that due to the precession of the equinoxes (the drifting of the equinoxes due to earth’s wobble for those who don’t know) it takes 25,800 years for the celestial map as seen from earth to make a complete cycle to its starting point.

The link you posted said that in 1998 the center of the sun aligned with the galactic equator. What I believe is being referenced for 2012 is the exact center of that equator. In that same link, it says that: “it will take the December solstice sun 36 years to precess through the galactic equator.” So the center point should occur in the middle of that range. So if the edge of the sun (as opposed to its center) first touched the galactic equator in, say, 1994 (4 years before its center touched in 1998), then in 18 years (midpoint of 36) it will be at the center in 2012.

The point here is that regardless of what date you see as the official alignment, no one is doubting that it takes the earth 25,800 years to make a complete rotation to its exact starting point. So any time now is really an amazing point in history–as can be seen by what’s going on.

One article I read that I found very interesting was this one: http://www.crawford2000.co.uk/maya.htm

As for co-opting the cultures of other peoples, not only do we and the Romans share this tendency–every culture does this. In fact, it is the entire basis of mythology. Primitive beliefs led to the Egyptian religious beliefs, which led to the Greek beliefs, then the Romans, and all that forms the basis of much of our religion today. Check out zeitgeist the movie (part 1) for more on this: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=zeitgeist+the+movie&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though. I was not aware that there was any contention about the alignment date. I would not go so far as to say it isn’t true however, just that there is disagreement about the details. Since the Mayans seemed to know their stuff, I’m siding with them.

Namaste.

• My comment had two links and is awaiting moderation, so I am replying with just one.

Thanks for the link, UM.

As for co-opting the cultures of other peoples, not only do we and the Romans share this tendency–every culture does this. In fact, it is the entire basis of mythology. Primitive beliefs led to the Egyptian religious beliefs, which led to the Greek beliefs, then the Romans, and all that forms the basis of much of our religion today. Check out zeitgeist the movie (part 1) for more on this: (in google videos look up zeitgeist the movie and watch the original, older version)

Namaste.

• URSUS MARITIMUS says:

The link you’ve provided is from an anonymous internet source, so I’m not sure what meaning can be derived from it. The site makes many claims, but there is neither any authorial information, nor sourcing, other than many poorly researched annecdotes.

The last statement, and the contention of the article, shows that you are not on the ‘side’ of the Mayans, since you have allied yourself with people who are willingly coopting their ancient culture to make points in the here and now that they themselves have not, nor ever, made in any of their own writings. Saying that there is mere ‘disagreement’ about the ‘details’ of the astronomical events that Meesus described is akin to saying that there’s no scientific consensus on climate change.

The Mayans did not predict the New Age event that people are groping towards right now. There are no credible Mayan historians, cultural scholars, or even indigenous Guatemalans, who claim as such.

In addition, the line of cultural ascension you’ve described is, at best, mythic and quite a shallow way to consider the evolution of culture.

In addition, ‘Zeitgeist’ is about as credible as ‘What the BLEEP Do We Know?’ in terms of contribution to the sum of human knowledge and endeavor.

Namaste.

• URSUS MARITIMUS says:

My intent is not to belittle anyone’s beliefs, nor to make enemies. Rather, my intent is simply to, in my small way, increase real human knowledge and understanding via reason.

For anyone on the Internet who stumbles upon this discussion, here is an important link.

Namaste.

• Thanks for the link UM. I’m open to hearing all viewpoints. The thing is, since the Mayans are no longer around, the best we can do is gather information based upon where we think they were coming from. I for one do not believe that 2012 will mark the end of the world or anything that Hollywood might have us believe. In fact, I don’t even see it as the end of their calendar. The Mayan calendars worked in cycles, and all 2012 seems to suggest is that that date will reset the great odometer of the universe.

Whether or not an alignment happens on 12/21/12, is in many ways irrelevant to the changes that many are saying may occur on this date. While these people may not have official anthropology or astronomy degrees, they have spent years researching Mayan culture.

One such researcher, Ian Zel Lungold impressed me with his observations http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=secrets+of+the+mayan+calendar&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

Surely, he is not up to your scientific qualifications, but that is not the point of my columns. They are about mythology and spirituality. This is the realm of collective consciousness, shamans, storytelling, and gut instinct. It is this place from which scientific proof may eventually be had, but only by those who take a leap of faith in searching for it.

I’m not sure what part of my “cultural ascension” you took issue with. My point was that cultures often adopt practices of the peoples they conquer.
            I’m not basing that one statement on the evolution of culture. Culture evolves for many reasons. I was simply responding to a comment on a blog. If it is hard evidence and accepted sources you are looking for, I’m afraid you will never find much satisfaction in my columns. I seek to be the voice asking “what if” before the research is done.

Science is currently very limiting in explaining the world we live in and has only recently begun to uncover what spiritual philosophy has claimed for thousands of years. One day, science and spirituality may agree on how the universe works. Until then, if it gives you comfort to only see the world by what can be tested and understood, by all means do that. I prefer to look at the world with wonder.

I guess I’m just the John Locke to your Jack Shephard. All I can say is I “wish you believed,” but if not, that’s your right.

Namaste

12. cassie99 says:

Very inspirational and made me think. Thanks that actually mite just help me.

13. […] Marc Oromaner’s Lost In Myth: “Whatever Happened, Happened”—Figuring out your destiny from L… […]

14. Doomsday or Better World…

I have heard people talk about the Mayan Calendar being accurate on other things, so they think this will be accurate as well. Who knows what will happen in the year of 2012 on December 21st. No one can predict the future. Sure, we can theorize and mak…

15. We wish more bloggers might compose blogs similar to this that are actually fun to read. With the fluff flying about on the web, it’s unusual to see a website like this instead